Our Youthworkers, Sian McCartney and Jackson Roach led by Mrs Aimee Visser, are joining us for their second year at Long Bay College. The team are an integral part of our culture of care, complementing the work of the school counsellors and teaching staff by providing activities that connect and enhance school life, extra support to those who need a listening ear, helping students to work through issues, or supporting students as they strengthen and empower themselves. In 2019, the team developed a Wellbeing Day, introduced Games Days on Thursday’s and held several Connect Days designed to build relationships and enhance student health.
The team focus on these five key outcomes:
- Supporting students and staff with a focus on wellbeing
- Building positive relationships between students, staff and other significant adults
- Cultivating school spirit and developing a sense of whanaungatanga (good citizenship)
- Leadership development by encouraging those students in leadership roles
- Integrating students with suitable out of school activities
Students can reach Sian and Jackson by dropping by their area in the Dean’s corridor (in A Block), catch them walking around the school at lunchtimes or contact them through the Guidance Counselling team. Their office is a safe and hospitable place to relax and chat if students need someone to talk to.
Sian is onsite at school Monday to Thursday from 12pm-2:30pm
Jackson is onsite at school Tuesday to Thursday from 12pm-2:30pm and also coaches at the school during the week and on weekends.
Remember, you can meet Sian and Jackson on Games Days (Thursday lunchtimes). Look out for details in the Daily Notices.